Provides radiation therapy to patients as prescribed by the physician according to established policies and procedures, standards, and practices.Position Accountabilities
The following are essential job accountabilities:
- Provides quality service to customers, employees, and visitors in the performance of work assignments and duties.
- Implements and maintains established radiation oncology center and medical center (if applicable) policies and procedures, and objectives, as well as quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control policies.
- Delivers a prescribed and planned course of radiation therapy to patients; answers patient questions and explains procedures.
- Performs simulation procedures as ordered by physician and according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
- Adheres to the charge accumulation process implemented for the Radiation Oncology Center and appropriately charges for procedures performed.
- Checks prescription, diagnosis, chart, patient identification, etc.
- Interfaces with the physicist, simulation therapist, and dosimetrist at initiation of treatment; consults with supportive care staff including physicians, nurses, coordinator to provide high quality patient care.
- Prepares room and equipment for patient. Stocks room with linen and supplies, and orders same as needed.
- Reinforces recommendations given to patients by the physician, nurse, dietitian, etc., concerning reaction to treatment and care of the radiated area, and prevention or treatment of generalized and local side effects.
- Observes patient for any unusual reactions or events.
- Demonstrates ability to tailor care based on unique requirements of patients’ age and developmental needs. Exhibits knowledge of patients’ developmental needs and demonstrates skills necessary to deliver patient care to that population.
- Assists in tumor localization and dosimetry procedures.
- Checks films for all treated areas and shows these to the physician; changes therapy as ordered.
- Aids in the training of radiation therapy students.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, professional affiliations, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Participates in the performance improvement process and projects.
- Other duties may be assigned or may be modified for alternate work schedule.
- Radiation therapy school graduate; BSRT preferred.
- ARRT Registration; NYS License COMPUTER SKILLS
- Knowledge of MS Outlook, MS Excel and MS Word and Internet software
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be regularly demonstrated by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to sit, stand, walk, present, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and effectively speak and hear. The employee is sometimes required to: stoop, kneel, bend or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific visions abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Note
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.